click 4 me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fuel Pumps

There are two types of fuel pumps. One type is designed to get fuel from the fuel can into the fuel tank and the other is to get fuel from the tank to the engine.

Fueling Pumps

To get fuel from the can to the tank you can use a squeeze bulb or manual or electric pump. Squeeze bulbs are good for smaller aircraft models, but become tedious with tanks larger than four ounces.

I prefer a manual pump because every electric pump I have owned has died after a few months of service. The instructions state that all fuel must be removed from the pump at the end of the flying day. I do that and they still break quickly.

Manual pumps seem to last forever. I have never had one go bad so now I do not bother with electric pumps any more. Pumps are made that either mount to the fuel container or the side of your field box. Either type works.

Read more acricle

Engine Fuel Pumps

Engine fuel pumps are made to give the most consistent flow of fuel to the engine possible.

These prevent the engine from going lean as the fuel level goes down, inconsistent performance during aerobatic maneuvers or to pull fuel from tanks that are located farther than normal from the engine.

I have owned only one engine with a fuel pump (K & B .40 with

built-in pump). Other than that I have not had a lot of experience with them and have not had a need for one either.

Nevertheless, I can understand how a pump could be usefulespecially for scale models where engine failure can be the demise of the model or aerobatic contest ships where an inconsistent engine run can cost you the victory.

For sport flyers they are just something else that can go wrong and to tinker with. I suggest you stay away from them until you definitely have a need for a pump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online